8 Valid Tips
Becoming A Better
Lately, the one biggest question that comes thru my advice column is what can I do to become a better writer or how to start a blog. With that being said I figured why not answer this advice with an article instead of a one on one email response. So let’s not waste any time and jump right into tip numero uno.
- Always write from the heart. The best way to reach an audience is to write what you are feeling. Write on a regular basis about anything and everything that comes to mind even writing is the best way to cleanse the mind.
- Believe in what you write. You will never catch me writing about something I don’t really feel. I refuse to sugar coat or change my opinion for the pleasure or benefit of someone else. Stand by your opinions. Know your truth and live in them. Never worry about how many people agree with you and how many don’t.
- When starting an article or a blog one thing I like to do is ask myself a series of questions about the topic I want to write about. For example, when I do a music review I ask myself five questions.
What is the backstory of this artist?
What makes this artist unique?
What do I like most about the artist and the music
What do I dislike about the artist or the music?
The five questions help me to make sure my article has substance. I put my best pen forward into telling the world the most I can about this artist. You always want to make sure what your trying to say makes sense to your readers.
- Take your time. The best work comes when you take your time to go thru every part of your writing. Sometimes it happens that you’re on a deadline and you need to rush but you NEVER want to make that a habit. If your unsure about your work don’t be afraid to ask for more time. Nobody wants a half ass project especially if they are paying for it.
- Research! Always research everything you write about even if you think you know all about the topic. You will be surprised what new things you can learn especially when you are writing about a person. For example, I had this one guy who I interviewed and he didn’t give me much to go off. So I took what he gave me but I knew that there was so much more to him than what he chose to tell. I jumped on the internet and dug up as much as I could on him. In the end, he was so happy with the result and couldn’t believe that I really took the time to do my homework in order to produce the best project. You also want to make sure the info your putting out isn’t a bunch of lies.
6.Share your work. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Even I make major mistakes or have bad articles where I’m just all over the place. Before I ever publish anything I like to share my articles with my team so they can check for grammar errors or run on sentences etc. Some days I am in a rush and don’t notice little things. Please make sure that the people you share your work with are 100% honest with you. The last thing you want is a bunch of yes men telling you how great something is when it really might not be great at all.
7.Publishing. You want to publish as much as you can. I’m talking more than just Tumblr or WordPress. Don’t shy away from submitting articles to magazines or your novels and short stories to publishing companies. Shoot Your Shot!!! If this is a passion for you go all the way don’t just stick to your journal cause your afraid of the criticism. Plenty of people told me I couldn’t but I’m determined to show the world I Can.
8.Writing Is The Painting Of The Voice_ Voltaire
Love what you do. Stay passionate and don’t let anyone muffle your voice ever. Pick up that pen or pencil and Free Your Soul.
Hope my tips helped you and I would love for my fellow writers to share some of their work with me. I love to write but I love to read even more. So hit my email I promise to give you nothing but the truth.
“When Bonnie Speaks, You Listen!”